Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 16, 2011

A Post Valentine's Day Musing...

So this morning I was riding the subway and ran into a friend of mine...I asked her how her Valentine's Day was and she replied...

"Eh...me and Derrek just argued the whole day."
"Hmph...About?" I asked, "Sorry if i'm intruding."
She sighed and said "Everything...first he wasn't being romantic, so I started crying and then he got me flowers but then I told him it was pointless and then we went out to dinner and was in a bad mood and...."

She continued, but at this point I was already lost in thought..."Sounds more like D-Day to me...Are women really like this?" Hell, I'm a woman, but to me (especially considering I work in the dating indsustry) Valentine's Day has sort of just become yet another day to me.

In my opinion, you shouldn't need a day to be romantic. What if you're just having a crappy day and it happens to be Valentine's Day? What do you do? You grin and bear it and you still do nice things for your sweetie, because that's what you're "supposed" to do.

So what I'm really getting at, is a message to all my ladies out there...Don't be so hard on your fella! If you're with a man who's generally romantic and sweet to you in your everyday life, don't get all pissy when he isn't being "romantic enough" on V-Day. Maybe he's just having a rough day, so before you freak out on him, talk to him and see if he's okay...let him know you can take a rain check. Because honestly, what sounds more appealing:

 Option A) Go out to dinner on Valentine's Day after several arguments, and both of you feeling "not in the mood" to be lovey dovey

 Option B) Take a rain check, cool down, go out for a romantic night on the town on another night and have a blast!

Who knows, maybe they both sound unappealing to you.

And now for the men...

Here's a MAJOR tip:

Be her knight in shining armor, and I use that term in the sense of take a day to be her romanticized version of the perfect man. She wants to be swooned! Keep in mind all women are different. Some women enjoy Coach Bags and Tiffany necklaces. I don't. I'd prefer a vintage locket or something he found at a thrift store he thought I'd like. Money aside, most women love romance.

Write her a hand written letter or card and give it to her. In fact, MAIL it to her sans return address. When was the last time you received a hand written letter in the mail? Exactly. The benefit of giving it to her in person though is seeing her have that "Omigod I'm totally going to cry because this is the sweetest man I've ever met..." and then she'll likely give you one big smooch!

Don't know what to write? Pish Posh! Just tell her how you feel "I love the way your skin feels and the way you smell even when you're not wearing perfume. I love your laugh and how you ...etc" You get the idea...

Single and wanting love?
 Well that's what SpeedDateUSA.com is here for. We have a ton of upcoming events in our home city in Philadelphia. Come have a night on the town and meet singles in your age range, or singles that have similar interests. Maybe you won't find your future husband...or hell, maybe you will. But you will most definitely make a few friends and have a hell of a good time!

Got your eye on someone special but you're not sure how to approach them?

Email me at advice@SpeedDateUSA.com. I'll offer you FREE unbiased advice, and then, with your permission, post the question and answer here to help our other readers. Please note that names, dates, and other identifying information will be omitted or alterted to protect your privacy.

No comments:

Post a Comment